Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Rainbow That Flies



Rosebreasted Grosbeak, 2 pair - Indigo Buntings, 
female then male 
and last but not least the Painted Bunting



I've been a bird watcher for many years, but I've never had a painted bunting at my feeder before; they're pretty shy.  A friend and real birder told me that a friend of hers feeds a special kind of seed to attract them. The very first morning we put millet seed on the board he came to sample it, and has been a regular for several days. It is hard to believe what gorgeous color he has even after I have seen him more than once.  The female is a yellowish green all over, but I haven't seen her yet.  Hopefully she is around, and they will nest here.  Having them here all summer is a possibility because they do nest here! 
What a treat that would be!
female cardinal painted bunting


They don't like oranges,  this was just a handy perch for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment